Monday, June 2, 2008

The aftermath...

After Monday all that was left to do was pretty much wait until the miscarriage would start. I had no idea when that would be as the doctors thought it would have already started given my progesterone levels.

I thought I was doing pretty well with everything. I was of course very sad still but no crying. On Wednesday I was catching up with a good friend (who is also a co-worker). She knew a little about our IF though not all the details. She was asking if I had learned any more and I was telling her some stuff but trying not to mention the miscarriage. She then told me that she had some news...she was 14weeks PG. I managed a heart-felt congrats before bursting into tears. I told her what was really going on and she listened while I talked which felt good. I felt terrible though for discussing it with her when she was PG as I didn't want to freak her out.

I realized then that I was still feeling very upset and unsettled about the whole thing. I was constantly wondering when the miscarriage would begin. I just wanted it to happen so that we could put this cycle behind us and move forward. The doctor had originally said we had to take 3 cycles off from trying but I pushed back because with my irregular cycles I sometimes have only 1 or 2 cycles per year!!

Thankfully the next day (Thursday, at 6weeks 2 days), the miscarriage began. I also went in for my fifth beta on Thursday (HCG was 73...slowly decreasing). I definitely felt better to know that my body was taking care of this naturally. If I had had to have medication or a D&C to take care of this, we would have to wait much longer before trying again.

The miscarriage itself was just like a very heavy period with LOTS of clots (sorry about the TMI). I didn't have any pain and pretty mild cramping.

Its now been two days since the bleeding stopped, which means I am just in a waiting period until my next period begins. The doctor agreed that with my cycles, it is ok to start again with my next period so i am thankful for that. It could happen anywhere from 30 days from now to 100+ and I am hoping for closer to 30!!

Emotionally I am doing ok. I think about it every day and can't help thinking about where we would be if I was still PG. But am hoping this gets better with time.

5 comments:

Jill said...

Ohh--I'm so, so sorry for all that you have been through. I had checked your blog for updates several times and when there weren't any, I did worry that things weren't good. I'm so sorry for the way things have turned out. I hope that your body returns to normal soon and that you can move on with another cycle as soon as possible. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers...

Little Wonders said...

Hi LanY,

As you probably know from my blog, I just got back from vacation - so I'm just catching up on your blog, too. I am so, so sorry about your miscarriage. I just can't even imagine the loss you are going through ... and the emotional roller-coaster of finding out to be pg and then losing the baby so quickly after. I hope this break cycle does wonders for both of us!

Emily said...

Oh hon! I am so very sorry! Big hugs! Sending thoughts and prayers your way. Take care of yourself!

Chelle said...

I hope you get to feeling better soon and I wish I had more comforting words.

My name is Chelle and I wanted to introduce myself because after reading your blog, we have a some things in common.

I am 29 and my husband is an engineer. My secretaries daughter announced her pregnancy just about the time we told everyone that we had to go through IVF. On one hand I am really happy for her... on the other, there is a pretty huge rollercoaster ahead and it's hard to find middle ground.

Anyway, I really hope you feel better soon so that you can move forward again.

Erin said...

I have checked up on you a few times for updates. I am so sorry about your loss.

Take care of yourself.