Wednesday, February 11, 2009

January...getting back on the wagon

January brought with it a new cycle!! Little did I know that this would be the most messed up cycle ever (at least for me, I am sure some of you have dealt with much worse!).

Cycle #22 began on January 5. Of course this was a terribly busy work week with client meetings off-site. There was no way I could do CD3 b/w and u/s. The doctor kindly agreed to CD4 instead. I am one of the lucky few who have IF insurance coverage but fertility meds have to come through a specialty pharmacy that then mails the meds to me. The IF nurse that coordinates everything for my doctor is out on Thursdays (which of course was when CD4 was). I had spoken with her on Tuesday and she had said she would call in my Clomid Rx that day so I would have it for CD5. Come Thursday, I have not heard from the pharmacy so I called them and lo and behold...no Rx. Friday morning I call the Dr. and she calls in the prescription again. Of course I now need it that same day. Well the pharmacy won't deliver it same day because it doesn't cost enough. After many phone calls and hours later, I find a Walgreens that has the drug and get the Rx transferred there for me to pay out-of-pocket. Clomid thankfully doesn't cost that much.

Everything goes smoothly and CD9 (a Tuesday) arrives. I realize I haven't heard from the nurse on what time my CD10 monitoring appt is so I call her. Her voicemail says she has changed her hours and is now off on Tuesdays and Thursdays!! Great. So I call the other nurses and leave a frantic message. They call back and say that the only time still available is 11:45am. I normally go before 7 and that way it doesn't affect work. Now, during a huge emergency at work, I have to drive myself to 30 minutes out to the Drs and 30 minutes back for a 10 minute monitoring. Grrrrr. Oh and of course the monitoring shows I have no follicles bigger than 10 and so am still have a long way to go.

Next snafu, the nurse is supposed to call in the trigger shot on Wednesday so that I have it on hand whenever the appropriate day arrives. Saturday comes and I still haven't heard anything so I call the pharmacy. No Rx on file. Great. Turned out to not be a big deal as CD15 monitoring shows the biggest is a 10 and I am still a long way from being ready.

Of course the Dr. predicts the next Saturday will be the IUI day. That particular weekend is my company's ski weekend and we are supposed to be 4 hours away in VT. I proceed to have the assistant that is planning the weekend, change everything around for me and DH so that we are no longer skiing and instead are getting massages late Saturday afternoon (so that we can drive up following the IUI).

I am not sure what I was thinking as of course my body is too unpredictable to make plans around. Thursday comes (what should be trigger day) and I still have no follicles big enough to trigger. Go in again on Friday and finally we are ready to trigger. IUI will be on Sunday CD21!!

Now what do we do about the ski trip. I mean really its so not a big deal compared with the IUI but the sucky part is that we have already paid for it. So I feel we should still go on Friday night and drive back Saturday night, which is what we do. Big mistake. Driving 8 hours when both DH and I are exhausted from the hectic week is excrutiating. The massage was WONDERFUL but the drive back late at night was not fun. Never again.

The IUI went very smoothly, thankfully. Though I did manage to come down with the worst cold the day after. It was awful.

And with that January ends with 1 week down on the 2ww.

No comments: